In the previous post, we looked at the risk factors for developing Metabolic Syndrome, the precursor to Type 2 diabetes. What can you do to prevent or reverse this silent danger to your health?
Dr. Todd Ferguson, a naturopathic doctor, has some great suggestions on action steps you can take right now. He believes that 90% of Type 2 diabetes can be improved, or even cured by diet and lifestyle changes. These changes can help improve Metabolic Syndrome as well.
Some of Dr. Ferguson’s suggestions include:
- Make food choices having a low Glycemic Index, to lessen your blood sugar spikes;
- Eating small, frequent meals throughout the day, will help keep your blood sugar from fluctuating too much;
- Eating whole grains, rather than foods containing refined grains;
- Doing aerobic and weight training exercises; and
- Taking fish oil, magnesium and alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) supplements.
Check out this short video of Dr. Ferguson discussing all of his ideas:
Could there be any simpler steps to improving your wellness?
The Glycemic Index that Dr. Ferguson refers, indicates how different foods affect your blood sugar, as well as your insulin level. The lower the index number, the less affect that food has for spiking your blood sugar level. Any food with a Gylcemic Index of between 60 – 100, is considered high glycemic and should be avoided.
The Bottom Line: Why take a chance on developing Metabolic Syndrome? The answers are right in front of you. Remember, Just about every friend or relative of mine with Type 2 diabetes died prematurely. It’s my hope that you can avoid their fates.
It’s your life, live well!